September 15, 2010

Crayon Cake





This ended up being a bit of work, but I am super happy with how it turned out. One of my favorites. Personally, I think it's way cuter than anything else I saw out there. I'm especially glad the 'paper' turned out so cute--I had never seen anything like it, but I wanted to give it a try. Sometimes my experiments don't turn out so well... Oh, and that crayon in the middle of the top is actually purple. In case you're wondering why I made two blue crayons. Goofy lighting.


Here's how I put it together (in case I ever have to do this again):
  • freeze a 9x13 cake until it's hard
  • slap it on a piece of cardboard
  • carve the shape (I cut off the top layer of crayons to make it easier to fondant the bottom layer. Next time I'll probably do all the crayons individually--it was actually easier that way).
  • cut cardboard to match the shape of the cake

  • Ice cake, cover the 'box' with fondant

  • cover the crayons in fondant, stick them on the cake
  • add decorations
  • paint crayons and 'paper' with gel food coloring mixed with lemon extract.
  • use buttercream to 'write' on the 'paper'.
  • Ta-da!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Have I ever mentioned that you are absolutely AMAZING???? INSPIRING??? Seriously! You are so creative! I love it! You inspire me to decorate cakes again, except that I don't actually have the time to do it! :)

Sommer said...

This is also one of my favorites. You make it sound so simple: )

Alicia said...

This is soooooo cute!!! You are incredible.

AZ Mikesells said...

WOW! Aunt Pam would be proud. You definitely got the Alldredge cooking gene from your dad. The only cute cakes we had were made by Pam.